The Expedit from IKEA with canvas bins.


An old microwave stand in the closet for extra shelves. (This is not picture-worthy, but let me just say how much I love putting something seemingly useless to good use!)
A puzzle rack.
And a hanging shoe rack.All of these items I have used for toy storage, and all but two were about to be thrown away when I realized they worked better for me as something other than their intended uses. I just have to say, there must be a reason every classroom has cubbies, they just go hand-in-hand with kids.
My two questions are:
What have you used a shoe rack for (or seen it used for), other than shoes?
What do you use/reuse (creatively or not) for organizing your "stuff"?
I'm still looking for ways to organize my sewing stuff - thread, leftover fabric, patterns, rotary board and ruler, manuals, serger equipment, etc. I'd especially love to get ideas for those!
Hey Kate! I love the Expedit -- hurray for you!
ReplyDeleteI just reorganized my sewing stuff in one of those plastic, clear, stacking drawer things. (You might remember that we (sadly) have two for our night stands.) The one I used had 2 or 3 smaller drawers up top and then two deeper drawers on the bottom. All of my little things are in the top ones and I folded my fabric and arranged it by color in the drawers. Now I can see exactly what I have! (I did have to get rid of a lot of fabric though.) I can take a picture if you want to see it.
i use a shoe rack for... well, a shoe rack. and i used the bin shelving like you have, only i got it at target, to extend my cheap tiny computer desk. used it as a bookshelf. that's about as organized as i get ha ha. oh, and i got this cute box at tj max to put all my computer cd's in. it would match your decorations below. :)
ReplyDeleteI have used a hanging shoe rack for baby clothes and also for wash clothes, rags, pillow cases (when we didn't have a linen closet in our house and the towels/sheets were in the bedroom closet).
ReplyDeleteAs for sewing stuff, the clear drawers are great. I also got a cheap clear container at Hobby Lobby that has spool holders (not sure what else to call them) for thread and then a few little compartments for buttons, etc. It made a big difference!
And what have I reused for storage? Shoe boxes, of course! I still haven't gone quite as far as re-using Cool Whip containers yet though.
And, last thought. Love the Ikea Storage stuff. As you already know... Sounds like you are nesting already! Love ya!