It's one thing to talk about all the topics of taking care of a household, and it's another to live it. My absence has been due to living, particularly in this time when the "economy" and its many negative descriptors are such household words. If you think you and your family have not been influenced, you apparently aren't living. Now, before you go thinking that this is going to be a real downer of a post, let me assure you that is not my purpose. If you're anything like me, I've had enough of those doom and gloom updates. I promise not to bring up that ugly word "politics". Instead, I'll tell you a little about my experiences over the last several months and then I'll ask that you share a few of yours. (So as not to get too wordy, I'll try to summarize in a list of my little family's story.)
1. Life was good: New house, two jobs (though mine was only a few hours a week), a car almost paid off, and plenty of dreams and goals.
2. Laid off - 2 months notice, but no severance.
3. Two months of searching for jobs, getting house on the market, esophagitis due to stress, lots of interviewing, multiplying hours at my job by 3, places interviewing not planning to hire for several months or suddenly not able to hire at all, hoping that we would have a job before our next mortgage payment was due.
4. Last day of work, no job, only what seemed far-off prospects.
5. House sold after only 16 days on the market!
6. Moved out, no job, no place to go, but plenty of money in the bank.
7. "Aimlessly" drove across the country, one job offer each on the way to "visit" family.
*I have to add a little side-note here. I was offered my dream job that really couldn't have been more perfect. A home-economist position in my home-town, great benefits including free grad-school tuition for me and my husband, etc. I questioned how it could be the best decision to take a different route. For many, many reasons it was, but there are two and a half that top the charts: my husband, my little girl and the next little one on the way. Though it was difficult to turn it down, I'm glad things turned out the way they did.
8. Chose hubby's offer (which, I have to admit, was much more lucrative, and yes, did make our decision a little easier as well) and moved, yet again, across the country.
In summarizing this I left out a lot of the fear and hopelessness we endured on purpose. Mostly because we feel that the experience (looking back) was positive. Shocking? It certainly was to us. Admittedly, we are religious people and we can't count the blessings that have come pouring into our little family through all of this. But, even if you don't believe in Divine Intervention, you can still see we had some "luck", or whatever you want to call it, sent our way. It was hard, and we're definitely dealing with some struggles because of it still, but we're better for it.
So, my question and focus for this post is, "How has your household been affected in the current economy? How are you different, but more importantly, how are you better?" I know it sounds like homework, but I really do want to know.
Thursday, February 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kate, I just want you to know I think you have done fabulous! Way to hang in there.
ReplyDeleteWow. I had no idea what your "story" was until just now. Our family has also gone through a number of blows, and yet the blessings that pour in are so amazing that looking back, it is hard to remember the despair & fear we felt through it all. And we did feel it. It seems like you have to wade through all that hopelessness right up to the very moment of deliverance, and then something will happen that puts things into perspective / makes things right / shows you the bigger, better picture, and suddenly all is okay. Maybe not perfect, or what you'd necessarily choose, but you're okay.
ReplyDeleteWe went through a really scary experience when our 2nd daughter was born and we almost lost her 4 days later. She was in the ICU for almost 3 weeks and we had no insurance! It was a nightmare on so many levels. And yet, the way everything worked out was so amazing - her "disease" went away overnight after we were told she'd die; we qualified for medicaid when we previously hadn't, but only for the 1 month she was hospitalized; we were able to get insurance to cover post-hospital care; we got involved with ECI, which yielded so many blessings we didn't even know we were in need of - I could go on and on, but this is already a novel!
Sorry!
Anyway, if you can't tell, I feel very strongly about what you posted. :)